Friday, 24 June 2011

The Execution of Napoleon Cheadle Market Place May 1814

The town of Cheadle will feel sensibly the beneficial effects of a lasting peace of which there is now a prospect from the extensive manufacturers established in the town. Saturday last was a day set for rejoicing at that place. The bells began to ring at an early hour and several cannon situated on a hill, which overlooks the town, were fired at a signal. The British colours were hoisted at a signal and other flags with appropriate descriptions were displayed at various places in the town.

A well-wrought effigy of Buonoparte was carried through the streets in a cart preceded by an excellent band of musicians and attended by an executioner and confessor. He was conducted to the gallows erected in the Market Place and after due ceremonies had been observed he was launched off. After the hanging for sometime he was a burned and large amount of gunpowder deposited on his body.

Between 40 and 50 gentlemen of the town sat down at an excellent dinner at the Wheatsheaf Inn where Colonel Bulkeley presided and filled the chair with great credit and pleasure to the company. After dinner the chairman made an eloquent address to the company where he congratulated them for the happy change of affairs on the continent. Many loyal and patriotic toasts were drunk. An abundant quantity of provisions was sent to different inns in the town to be consumed. 700 of the poorest classes were regaled, each one having three pints of ale. 100 gallons of fine brown stout were distributed in the market place. 600 females were divided into groups to have tea drinking in different homes.

At 11 the inhabitants were greeted with 21 discharges of cannon repeated at 4 in the afternoon as gentlemen in the town in the Wheatsheaf were toasting the King. Manifestations of loyalty into the late hours and concluded with a brilliant display of fireworks.